Thursday, July 28, 2011

Ticks

I have learned way too much about ticks this summer. I already knew about dog ticks and deer ticks but evidently there are more varieties down here in Virginia and all of them want nothing more than to latch on to me and perhaps give me lime disease. Among the many type of tick to be found here in Virginia are the very small and sneaky seed ticks and sand ticks. These are almost impossible to detect except by a severe itching where ever they have happened to get hold of a person. Evidently this is a bad year for ticks and they are everywhere. We spray the campers down with bug spray every day before leaving the building. Still some of them come back with clinging pests. I've picked, brushed, and scraped about six or seven ticks off myself since the summer started and I'm usually very careful about where I go and how often I use bug repellent (lemongrass - environmentally safe). I know three people on staff here who have had lime disease recently and one more who has it now. I mention all this now because the kids today went on a scavenger hunt and went into the forest. As always a few of them came back with ticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment