Sunday, July 31, 2011

Appomattox and Farmville

Today I left early in the morning to visit Appomattox Court House National Historic Park where Gen. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia surrendered to Gen. Grant's Army of the Potomac after being forced to abandon Petersburg and Richmond. The morning was very rainy as I drove out, but about the time I reached Appomattox the weather improved just enough to allow me to wander around what has been preserved and restored from the little town that existed there in 1865. The McLean House, where the terms of surrender were officially signed, has been entirely rebuilt and was very interesting to wander around. The park rangers there were happy to see me since they'd had very few visitors and I availed myself of the opportunity to ask a lot of questions about famous people I knew to be present at the surrender. I spent a very happy, if damp, two hours wandering around and poking my head into the two dozen or so restored/preserved buildings. My favorite was the general store. Shelves lined with interesting bottles, boxes, and tools I had no idea how to use. The whole building had the agreeable smell of leather, oil, and packing sawdust. Browsing around the store I could almost imagine I had stepped into the 1860's and was looking for a sack of corn meal and replacement ax handle.

As I left the rain stopped entirely. I am now in the little town of Farmville (yes, its a real place) and I am having drink at a small coffeeshop/bookstore. Farmville seems a pleasant little town and definitely more interesting to wander around than old town Petersburg. In a few minutes I'm going to wander around and see what's here worth seeing now that the sun is starting to drive away the clouds.

I haven't seen anything remotely like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment