Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Lightning, Coyote, and Tadpoles

Last night there was an impressive thunderstorm over the battlefield. It hit around 11:30pm and lasted more than an hour. The lightning strikes were both bright and very close to quarters. I briefly contemplated doing as the radio advised and moving the the lower floor of the house, but decided I was too tired to worry about my safety and went back to sleep. The fact that I did not die justifies that decision I think.

This morning on my ride to work I noticed what I first thought to be a gray fox but soon realized it to be a coyote. He had just crossed the tour road when I spotted him and was jogging through the trees and deeper into the pine woods off to my right. He looked fat and content like he was out for a morning jog.

I spent the rest of the morning looking at the ground of a school near Williamsburg that wants to get a grant from the federal government for a school yard habitat. My supervisor and I were dispatched to give them the initial forms, look over the grounds, and advise them on the next steps. The school is new and huge. There are already two ponds nearby full of very large tadpoles and noisy frogs. Its a great site for a habitat project.   

2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that you got some rain!! Really disappointing that I was never around for any of the crazy big storms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The fact that I did not die justifies that decision I think."

    Best. Line. Ever.

    ReplyDelete