Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Today the Children Came

Today was the first day of camp. This week, being short, has a few less kids in in than normal, but they made enough noise for 50. This week were running one of the environmental education camps. Today was, as my supervisor likes to call it, 'bug day' we made bug drawings, made insect rubbings, went on an insect scavenger hunt, and ate bug candy. I haven't had a chance to download pictures yet but will do so soon. If you picture a group of children walking through an open field just over a rise from several Civil War cannons, poking into high weeds, old tree stumps, and patches of mud from last night's rain. They were looking for insects. I am convinced that some of those kids were outside and really looking for the first time in their lives. Their eyes were actually open and they enjoyed what they saw regardless of the heat. They found termites, butterflies, spiders, scores of grasshoppers, a centipede, a small nesting lizard, and a whole host of things I can't name.

The kids left at a little after 1pm and it was probably a good thing. The temperature has become extremely warm here. Last night we had a huge thunderstorm that lingered over Petersburg from 4:30 until 11:00. At times the rain and lightning were intense. Lightning struck not even 100yrds from my quarters. I could feel the electric charge in the air and saw a bright white flash out the window. My wrist felt like it had received a large static shock. Lights in my quarters went out for a minute before coming back on. That is what I experienced standing not quite 100yrds away and facing away from the strike. A transformer on a power-line was destroyed and most of the rest of the buildings on that side of the park have no power. We're due to have more rain this afternoon... People here say that they usually don't get this many bad storms. There have been at least three in just the three weeks I've been here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment