Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Cannons

Like most battlefields there are cannons everywhere in Petersburg. These I found last night while biking. They mark a Union defensive position. I learned today that I'll be attending the 'Black Powder Training' next Monday. After that I'll be approved to assist in firing the cannon during reenactments.



Most of my work today was to begin developing a four-day program for kids, which we will be offering from July 12th - July 15th. The program slots are already full and my supervisor tells me that this can be what ever I want it to be. We're going to Jamestown on an archeological field-trip one of the days. I've begun pulling things together for some of the other days as well. This program may end up being my internship project as well.

I did get outside the office a little today when Leslie and I checked on the stream levels in preparation for camps. When the kids get here we'll be taking them exploring in the creek, much like the PUCS creek walk. On our way there we saw the park's resident bald eagles. A mating pair and three fledglings. It makes me feel like this whole experience is worth while when I can see something like that.




Tomorrow we have a small group coming for a few hours which will be fun. I'm excited to see how things actually run, after talking about the programs and reading over them at length.

1 comment:

  1. You know it's going to be a good day when you get to go to Black Powder Training. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete