Monday, July 11, 2011

Blandford Cemetery

I spent an hour or so walking around Blandford Cemetery yesterday evening. I was amazed at the amount of graves. Many Confederate soldiers were buried in Blandford during and after the Civil War. However there are graves dating back to the early part of the 1700's and perhaps later. The oldest grave that I personally saw was dated 1702. The church there, which was abandoned by its congregation before the start of the Civil War, was restored after the war and is supposed to be beautiful. I thought I might be able to talk the caretakers into letting me in the building for free, but I evidently didn't talk fast enough. I'll go back at some point, pay the fee, and get the view from the inside, but last night I was more interested in walking around. The staff was about to go home for the evening anyway and I didn't want to be rushed looking around the place.

The cemetery itself is wonderful and very interesting with all its old stones and impressive (sometimes odd shaped) monuments. However, I was shocked at the sheer volume of gnats that inhabit the cemetery grounds. As large as the place is I thought I'd be able to get away from them, but there was no escape. Either the bugs followed me or they were simply everywhere. I would have stayed a lot longer if I could have rid myself of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment