Thursday, July 14, 2011

Jamestown

We took the whole camp to Jamestown so the kids could see a very in depth archaeological excavation. They were quite interested in how the archaeologists knew what they were finding. The kids were impressed to find out that the church that was being excavated was most probably where Pocahontas married John Rolf. There was quite a bit of activity going on there. Graduate students from Universities all over the state come to work in the field school during the summer. There were at least five separate excavations going on around Jamestown Island.

A passing tourist stopped me to ask questions about the excavation while the kids were talking to the archaeologists. Fortunately, I was able to answer all of the questions he was interested in, but only because I'd been listening closely to the archaeologists for the past few minutes. Having taught the history of Jamestown also helped. All in all I talked with him for about ten minutes and he left thinking that I knew pretty much everything there is to know about Jamestown. I felt very pleased with myself. I wish my knowledge of Petersburg and its battles was as complete as what I know about Jamestown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment