Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Pictures of Blandford Cemetery

From where I took this picture the cemetery spread out in every direction exactly as  it looks above. Beyond that arch in the background is another large area full of graves.

The mausoleum of Confederate Gen. Mahone one of the southern heroes of the siege of Petersburg.

Some people buried in Blandford cannot be identified and others are known to be buried here for whom there is no marker and the location of their grave is not known. It is somewhat uncertain how many people total are buried here. Many of the confederate soldiers were buried in mass graves.

1 comment:

  1. Cemetaries fascinate me. We used to live a few blocks away from Forest Lawn Cemetery in Buffalo. The kids and I used to go on picnics there because it was so beautiful. My favorite tombstone was the marker of a married couple. He died in 1962 and she lived until 1995. I would sit and stare at their tombstone thinking she lived an entire life without him. The world in 1995 was a vastly different place then the world in 1962. For some reason that one tombstone always put me in a pensive mood.

    ReplyDelete